Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Super 88



I love asian markets. The only problem is that I only understand what about 20% of the items really are. The more "authentic" the bigger the problem, since the labels have little or no english on them. While searching for dried anchovies for Andy J's Dashi recipe posted here, I remembered that the Super 88 is just down the street from Linda's studion in Boston's South end. So I figured I'd check it out.

We'd never visited after all this time in Boston, and boy was that ever a mistake. First, the store is HUGE, with aisle-upon-aisle of great looking stuff. Clean and bright, the produce is fresh, and their fish/seafood section has to be seen to be believed. Huge tanks with live fish swimming around, whole fish and filets/steaks laid out on ice, and bins of crabs and prawns etc etc. I walked down the first aisle and found 5 different kinds of dried anchovies. How did I know? Because everything in the store has a tag on the shelf that says in english, what it is. Small thing? No, HUGE thing! Now I know what all that fascinating stuff is. I picked out my dried anchovies, and got a cart. This was going to take a while.

The prices are great, and I'd be surpirsed if there's ever anything in a recipe that I couldn't find here. A definite find (though it's not like it was hidden).

Check them out at Super88Market.com

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Oh, yeah, Super 88 is THE place. I was just there on Sunday, at the Brighton location. I just went for a few things and came home with my bike groaning under the weight of my hoard.

Each time I go to a place like this, I find bizarre items too alien for even my adventurous pallet. This time around they were in the prepared foods refrigerator case: two plastic tubs holding unidentifiable, brown solids, one labeled "Vegetarian Goose Appetizer", the other, "Marinated Giggards". Mmm, giggards . . .

AJ